Re: MichLUG Meeting - Saturday, September 11th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 05:31:42 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Kirby Warden wrote:
Well, I made it out to my first Lug meeting!!

Glad to have you, though I neglected to introduce myself to any of the 3+ new
visitors, so I'm somewhat guessing as to who you are.  If you were the guy who
brought the large grey tank and the red spaceship that was compared to a
hydroplane, then I'm not misremembering who you are.

I was a couple hours late since I managed to get lost along the way, but I
made it!  I sheepishly poked my head through the open door to see what I
could see, while shushing my kids and leading my wife behind me (she's NOT a
Lego fan...but she puts up with me).  I can't say that I had a GREAT time,
but that's only because I walked into the middle of a business discussion
and when that was done the meeting was pretty much winding down.

Fun (showing off new MOCs, general banter, etc.) first, business second, part
drafts/games (if any) generally third.  It's a bit rough on new visitors if they
miss the first chunk and only get to listen to the business portion, but it
works out better for the current members if the business portion doesn't start
right away because it can take an hour or two for everyone to finally arrive,
depending on travel distance, driving conditions, and general life-happens-ness.

I was very releived that no one tried to sell anything to me...no
memberships, no models, no ideas...

Membership is free (well, other than having to put in at least two hours of
unpaid slave labor at a MichLUG show...just like all the rest of us do whenever
we participate in one of our shows), though a few members did bring a stuff to
sell.  Most of what gets sold within the club is just offered up on a
first-come-first-serve basis.  You're more likely to find that you missed out on
stuff that you wanted to buy because someone else claimed it first.

I was able to leave without being hassled about anything.

?  Most of what we do is with the simple purpose of just having fun.  A lot of
what we consider fun (doing public shows, especially) require that less fun
stuff be done in preparation, but I've been a member for almost a year now, and
I attended meetings for about half a year before joining, and I developed a much
greater interest in the business portion after I joined and really started to
understand what was actually being discussed.

They even took pictures of the MOCs that I brought with me, at no extra
cost!!

Anything that gets displayed at MichLUG meetings is subject to random acts of
photography, unless you request otherwise.  It's not so much that it was done as
a service to you as it was to document what happened at the meeting.

I was genuinely surprised at how many MOCs I was already familiar with.

There's nothing quite like seeing MOCs in person.

Anyway, thanks for making an open invitation.  Now that I've been to one,
I'll likely show up for others.

The more the merrier!

And I might even post more often and even take pictures of my MOCs with my
wife's crappy camera...

The camera is only a portion of what it takes to get good shots, as I found out
after burning through about 500 discarded shots the first weekend that I had my
digital camera.  Accessories (tripod, backdrop, etc.) are another big part, as
is lighting.  Photography/editing skills are another, though they're a lot
easier to develop if you're working with a digital camera (since the "film" is
reusable and doesn't require developing) than a film camera.

Thanks for not beating me up for walking in on the important stuff!!

Important shmimportant.  Other than the annual election of club officers,
there's probably not much that goes on within the meetings that would be
restricted to actual members.