Re: MichLUG to display at the Motor City Comic Con - Castle & Space - May 14-16
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 11 May 2004 14:28:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, David Gregory wrote:
   But why on earth do people spotlight the post that says that MichLUG is going to display?!

To draw the lurkers out.

We have gotten some new members over the years from people coming to shows and getting drawn in. In at least one case it was because they saw a post on LUGNET. Spotlighting the post moves it up on the front page, making it marginally more likely that it will be seen by people that are not aware of us or hadn’t gotten on our announcement mailing list (which anyone can join, it’s very low volume so not very annoying).

Besides, Jake has way too many spotlighted posts on the front page now anyway. :-)

It’s a fair question, I guess, as to whether it is a good strategy or not but it’s pretty harmless, I think. (By the way I was a spotlighter in this case and I spotlighted COLTC’s announcement of Dennison too)