Re: Finally... a military truck....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 04:37:12 GMT

Larry,

I have looked through that one site many times, but never for the trucks.
I have toyed with a number of ideas.

I liked this one:    http://military.railfan.net/mv/m977.jpg
and someone has done that in Lego not too long ago.. pretty well too.

I also have considered the unimog style of truck.  As usual, I am not
protoyping.  This was done essentially from sort of vague memories and
composite of military trucks including lego versions I've seen online.  I,
personally, have a very difficult time when I sit down to model something
accurately in lego.  As discussed many times... there is the part/color issue
and the 'scale.'  I want this stuff to reasonably fit into displays some day
too which only makes those aspects all the more challenging.

For the truck there is the special difficulty of the windscreen.  I have yet to
see one I think is 'perfect' for this application.  Of course the wheels are
similar, though I think there are many options I have not explored with those.

This is kind of a starting point.

My initial goal was to make the cab hold two figs side-by-side.  I forgot about
that along the way.  Another general thought was dabbling with an engine
compartment 5 wide and/or a bed 7 wide.  As it is, the fenders are kind of
flimsy too.

I have had trucks in various states for probably six months.  The finally thing
here that worked for me was the bumpers and the railing in the back.   I still
want to change that, but that is the first 'acceptable' railing that I came up
with.

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and links.

Ken

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Ken Koleda writes:
I have wanted some support vehicles for a long time now.  I finally got
around to it.  It needs some work, but I think this is a start I am
reasonably happy with.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kkoleda/Military/pic00127.jpg

I like the bumper but I think the wheels need to be bigger and I'd narrow
the hood (if you're going for the AM General truck look)

(for example this fire truck:
http://carsinamerica.com/html/military/misc/cars_m27.html

or several of the trucks from this list
http://military.railfan.net/mv.htm
(specifically from the Two and a half ton Medium Tactical Vehicles section
and the following 5 ton section ) )

On the other hand maybe you were going for the unimog look?

Nice work!