Re: Train Station Update - Less than 2 Weeks to go before Grand Rapids Michigan GATS Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:04:41 GMT

David & All,

Wow Scott! You've done an incredible job with the early
Bulk Parts! How do you keep those long rows of 4x3 windows
from buckling during movements (transport to/from shows)?

Thanks, it has been a massive undertaking, this station alone has had over 3
or 4 revisions now, mostly when we found problems with either the show or
transporting them. : )

The first inclination was shown at a non-sanctioned fundraiser at Tony
Hedglens church, you can see pics here:

Overall:

Good picture of station:

We found that the initial roof was flawed, since it was not sturdy, since it
was straight windows on a 1x bricks. We redesigned it with more supports and
then some overlapping bricks, and made it thicker so the roof panels were
more rigid.

We then had the redesigned station at GATS in Novi, Michigan in January.
This had the canopy then, which was a last minute design, since I thought it
looked a little plain. by itself. The big flaw in this show was the uneven
show tables, which produced a lot of problems:

Crack in Canopy picture because of tables:

There was a major event when I was building the canopy which made me mad,
when the guys were lining up the plates, and had to shift them, and as a
consequence, the canopy collapsed. : /

The next revision of the station is by far the biggest, building the 3 brick
high modules under the station and canopy, to make sure they line up and are
straight.

Here area few MichLUG members (Rick H, Stefan G. and Steve 3) helping me out
with the base of one of them:

I was going to use the existing station, just modify it some for the moved
monorail and trying to make it big enough for our huge 8 wide crowds, but a
disaster happened: (You can also see the solid brick module on the right)

Tony Hedglen dropped the back half trying to transport, so I decided to
rebuild the entire station. I have some newer pictures, but I did not upload
them as of yet. Here is the latest:

The roof is lighter now, it is simpler to put together (No more flying wing
thing) and it is sturdier. But it really set me back about 2 weeks though.
But now I can say I designed this about 90-95%. : )

Oops, back to your original question here: How do I transport them?

Well, I got a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, and I usually just drop back the back
seat and put the fragile buildings back there, and cover them up with a
blanket (No sun on my creations, please!) The train station and canopy do
fit back there, along with my Shell Station (It will not be at Grand Rapids
GATS this year). I leave the roof on the top, and I have not had a problem
yet. This includes the sides and the fronts. Although, since the first
design, most areas have had a slight redesign to make it sturdier. The
modules also offer an additional stability as well.

I usually rent a trailer to take all rest of the stuff.

Here are some pics:

Trailblazer with trailer:

I will upload more pictures when I get back from the show, and I will be
bringing my whole layout with me to Brickfest as well, so if you are going
you can see it there.

Scott "Less than 48 hours to GATS GR 2002 - AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!" S.