Re: Tables....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 18:36:39 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Ken Koleda writes:
My basement is coming along so I thought raise this topic.

Here are some assumptions based on the tables made at last meeting.  Steve,
please correct where needed.

1 - 4x8 sheet 3/8 plywood   about $10
3 - 1x3 x10ft boards       $?
2 - 2x2 8 or 10 ft depending on desired height of tables.
drywall screws (length?)  does coarse thread work better than 'fine'thread?
total cost $29.xx

I am assuming 4 legs each.  Steve pointed out that when bolting adjacent
tables we can eliminate some legs.

Yeap.  I think some of the other clubs came to the conculsion that you need
2x+2 legs, where x equals the number of tables you have. This does seem to work
for most layouts, although if you wanted each table to be able to stand on it's
own, then you would need more.

This makes 1 30x60 table and one 30x30 table with perhaps a little scrap of
the plywood?

Yes.  The scrap gets used in making the supports for the legs.

I didn't hear any solid ideas on the bolts.  Just carriage bolts, some
washers?  Or some kind of pins we don't need to screw on?  but we def. want
to make sure they can slide out!

I think we were going to use bolts, washers, and nuts.  Then use cordless
drills and deep sockets to assemble them.  Steve R was going to look into it,
and bring stuff to the next meeting. (This would also include the thoughts on
how to attach the barriers to the tables.) I believe he has now said that he
won't be able to make it, something about watching kids.  So if he has figured
out something, I hope Chris will bring it along, and explain it to everyone.

======

Larry commented that a couple of other groups went with 4x4 plate tables.
Does anyone know the rationale there?  Handling fewer tables would be a
little quicker I suppose.

I think some of the other clubs only go 40" deep period.  While we intend to go
60" at the minimum, and 90" in the downtown area.  So I think that was the
train (excuse the pun) of thought.

-Jason

Jason Spears
Michlug - http://www.michlug.org/