Re: GATS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:38:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, John Gerlach writes:

Don't forget that word is getting around the GATS organization, that LEGO
Train layouts are a very popular with the general public, especially with kids!

I would think that if a group approached *any* GATS show organizer and said
"we've got a LEGO Train layout we'd like to show", GATS would bend over
backwards to find space for them.  And if you've displayed with them once,
they'll want you back every year!

True dat! My sense (could be wrong, it's what I picked up from their
newsletter) is that GATS is a small family run company with not that many
employees, so it's not like it takes a lot to spread the good word. It's spread.

The train clubs that have exhibited so far (spearheaded by GMLTC and PNLTC
but there are many more now) have paved the way for others to follow.
Unfortunately they have also set sort of a high bar in a way. Just a circle
of track isn't going to cut it.

But the GOOD side of that coin is that it's not as hard as it seems if
you're a plywooder. Several members with decent collections or one member
with a large collection, some planning beforehand and the club giving up its
weekend and you get a smashing display.

The modulars are the jaw droppers to us, but everything wows the mundanes if
it is big.