Re: MichLUG Website?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.michlug
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 01:46:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.michlug, Trevor Pruden writes:

Speaking of which:

http://www.lugnet.com/map/na/usa/lug/

Any of you guys aware that our group's homepage is not linked from the USA
lug map?  Just a thought.  Also, at the time we were added to the page,
LUGNET Administration (hi Todd!) "striped" our color to include the green
used for GMLUG on the map since we fall inside the GMLUG territory.  All is
fine, and I know that Larry is part of GMLUG and all, but we're hardly a
"splinter" group anymore - just look at our traffic volume!  Curious...very
curious....

I'm "part" of a lot of organizations, so don't think that has anything to do
with anything, or that we should let it stand in the way of organizing
correctly. In a previous post which was crossposted with the new Indiana
group questioning this very point, I said I thought we were essentially
independent. Striping does show that GMLUG is inclusive but does also dilute
our own strength. Number of posts is not indicative of actual achievement of
course, but we do seem to be gathering momentum!

No one had any comments on that post at that time (except offline) but if we
want to thrash through what GMLUG means, maybe we should. As I said at that
time, I don't see us (or the Indy folks) as a "sub" club. GMLUG can be
construed to have a "different" and "non geographicly exclusive" charter
than other groups... Hence we and they coexist with no sub one way or the
other. Or so I would like to think. (lots of quotes in the above because I
have no idea really)

There is no way to show overlap other than striping or blending, right? So I
have no answer (and maybe we shouldn't worry about it, as long as the GMLUG
site does a good job of steering Michiganders to us and Indianians to
IndyLUG and we both do a good job of steering others back to it.)

The whole thing, given the level of direct GMLUG activity, may well be moot.