Re: LUCNY exhibiting at the CNY Train Fair 11/1, 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 02:50:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Salm wrote a lot which I cut one again:

Okay, one more addendum from me...

WOW!  This show went well.  16 feet by 26 feet -- our biggest layout yet and,
naturally, the best display at the whole event which used two huge buildings
at the New York State Fairgrounds.  We must have heard people tell us that
100 times!  I hope they told the event organizers, too.

I forgot to mention before that our layout was set up to allow at least FOUR
trains to run similtanenously on separate lines of track.  Most times we had at
least six trains running and several more parked in the yard or on various
branch lines.  All this required minimal human intervention.

Our overall incidence of collisions was greatly reduced because we were running
our trains slower than usual.  We were unable to attach our plexiglas barriers
to the venue-provided tables beause they were very inferior quality tables.  For
that reason, we did not attempt to make trains fly off the rails as we normally
do when the plexi barriers are in place.  An excellent example was our small
fleet of gondolas filled with coal (1x2 Dark Gray slopes) -- they did not spill
out even once during the whole show.

As for promoting the Lego brand the Lego trains experience, we had very good
success in distributing the newest Lego Train poster.  It worked well.  My only
complaint is now we don't have a place to insert our information flyer as we
could with the Lego Train catalogs.  One observation would be that some folks
had a hard time thinking of it as a catalog with which to order product from.
Even with the poster in hand, many people still asked for a product catalog.

I think NOW, this is all I have to say about this show for now.  Pardon the
somewhat improper replies to my own messages.

__Kevin Salm__
LUCNY

PS.  We think even Larry P. would be proud that we managed to have no less than
4 trains running at all times.  Ben Medinets was suprised that we devoted so
much space to yard, but we still were short of parking space for rolling stock
even when 4, 5, or even 6 trains were running.  There is no such thing as
too-much-yard, IMO.