Subject:
LUCNY meeting September 21
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 06:31:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, Kevin Salm wrote:
The next LUCNY meeting is scheduled for

DATE:  Saturday September 20
TIME:  Noon to 5:00 PM
PLACE:  Parkside Methodist Church, Vernon Center
HOST:  Kevin Salm

AGENDA:
-- introduction of new members
-- discuss upcoming train shows in November (Nov 1,2 and Nov 8,9)
   Ed McGlynn is serving as show coordinator for both of these events.
   Bring any new models you are working on for the November train shows.
-- recap of Day out With Thomas event in June and BrickFest in July
-- other new business

MAIN EVENT:

We will set up a track layout to test all member's train wheels.  We will be
cutting, filing, sawing, hacking, lubricating, etc. to be sure that all
wheels run properly. Be sure to bring all the train wheels you have--even if
they seem to run fine. We want to inspect and test them all for rolling
resistance and eliminate all problems.

Okay, so the LUCNY meeting was actually held on Sunday, September 21.  Due to
Lugnet technical difficulties, I did not get the change posted here.

This meeting was a ton of fun!  Only three members of LUCNY showed up, but we
accomplished what we set out to do and had fun playing trains and talking Lego.
And the BEST thing to happen at the meeting was a visit from GardenSLUG members
Eric Sophie and Tim Caffrey.

At the very last minute, I persuaded Eric to join LUCNY for the day and he
convinced Tim to come along with him.  They got to see first hand crazy and
somewhat unorthodox techniques used to run Lego trains here in New York.  About
the only thing that didn't happen today was actual cutting of Lego train track,
but they got to see all our other neat custom creations and modifications.  The
plan for this meeting did not originally include any models outside of rolling
stock, but I had just enough time to transport and set up several buildings for
Eric and Tim to see.

Eric and Tim each brought along some of their recent MOC's.  Tim has a
work-in-progress New Jersey Transit locomotive, a well-detailed Hogwart's
banquet hall, and a lighthouse.  Eric brought along Chili and another MOC whose
name I forget--both Mecha, of course.  Some very good building techniques by
both of them; thanks for sharing.

Many photographs were taken by Eric and I look forward to seeing them on
Brickshelf soon.

This meeting was the second time LUCNY and GardenSLUG have gotten together.  And
it won't be the last.  Wayne Sardullo and myself are working with GardenSLUG to
help them run their first public Train show in December.  I am sure it will be a
lot of fun and I hope it leads to more joint projects for LUCNY and GardenSLUG.

__Kevin Salm__
Lego Users of Central New York

PS.  Thanks to John Barnes for doing all the work cutting and grinding train
wheels while the rest of us had fun playing trains and watching him work.  After
everyone else left the meeting, I stayed around and worked on several more train
wheels.  That only leaves a few hundred more to go :)

PPS.  LUCNY's newest member, Jim Kovacs, will be a new daddy soon.  Good Luck to
Jim, his wife Beth, and the soon-to-be new baby.  This may be the last time we
see Jim at a meeting for a while :)