Re: Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.lucny
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 14:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.lucny, John Barnes writes:
You people!

I'm not a train person ... correction, I wasn't a train person ;)

Now, I'm working on an idea for my piece of some future train show.

I found out the proper name for what I want to make is an intermodal
transfer station. A fancy gantry type device which moves containers between
freight trains and trucks or ships. In terms of a possible train show, I was
thinking that if an oval or some other private closed loop could be devoted
to a freight train under RCX control, then the train could be stopped
periodically and the containers moved between a flatbed truck model and the
train - all automatically of course.

Most of it is reasonably straight forward. The hard bit is going to be the
grabber that picks up the container.

I think you're right.  There's simple grabbers in past LEGO sets that worked
well, but required the Hand of God to firmly attach and grip the container.
You may have to use a motorized arm with a small micro-motor to handle the
grasping and un-grasping.

I am going to try and use some of the train coupling magnets burried in the
structure of the train car and the truck to provide the final alignment to
get the container straight as it is lowered into place. If that doesn't
work, then the loading process will get a little harder.

If the magnet provides alignment, how do you get the magnet to let go when
you unload?  I think alignment can occur with properly placed slopes that
funnel the container into the bed of the waiting transport.  4555 uses 1x1
cones, and others use embedded 1x2 tiles to mate with the container bottom.

This project will take a while, I don't get as much time at building stuff as
I'd like.

What you need is a deadline, John!

What I would appreciate is a few building tips for correct use of scale.

How big is a container in Lego trains scale? Can I use the standard 28 stud
long "wagon bottom"? What scale do you build trackside buildings to (bricks
per story) ?

JB

I believe the containers are usually 4x8 and 4x16.  That will let you take
advantage of LEGOs pre-existing scale, and our existing sets.

Take a look at some of these sets for more ideas:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4549
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4555
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/4565

If you'd like, I'm sure one of us can bring these to the next meeting for
you to fiddle with, etc.

Ed