Re: Blue tooth fairy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:24:15 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, John Brost wrote:
Steve,

Have you popped in the CD that came with it?  Maybe something in there will at
least give us a shot at figuring out what GPS chipset it is using.  I'd be
interested in knowing the specs for it.

My-Life: update...

The CD itself says "GPS Bluetooth V1.1".  There is nothing in any of the
programs to suggest a manufacturer.

I can't get any of the programs that came with it to work.  They all come up,
and appear to function, but don't read any data from the GPS module.  I wrote a
program to read the comm port, and the GPS data IS coming in, so the hardware's
working, and I really don't care about the software.

After reading through all the documentation, and everything on the CD, I found
documentation for one of the programs that refer to a Sony GPS.  Of course, this
program doesn't seem to work with this hardware, so I doubt it's made to go
together.

The only marking on the GPS module says "GPS" and has a picture of a satellite.

So, even if I do figure out any specs, I won't be able to tell you how to get
your own...

As it stands now, I have NO idea where it came from.  There was no bill, or
credit card charge.  I've talked to all my friends (who know I want one) and no
one knows anything.  I'll see about visiting my neighbors, to see what they say.

On another note, I got an interesting call last night.  It went something like
this:

me: "Hello"
girl: "Hello, this is Kate.  Is this Steve?"
me: "yes"
girl: "I just read the story in Wired magazine.  Nice story."
me: "thanks..."
girl: "Do you like work for LEGO?"
me: "No.  Not really"
girl: "oh.  That would be fun.  Do you have a lot of LEGOs?"
me: "yes."

<other small talk>

girl: "Wow.  You're like a local celebrity.  You're like Bob Rohrman." (a local
car dealer)
me: "hmm.  maybe."
girl: "Wow.  Thanks for talking to me.  Bye"
me: "bye"
mans voice in background: "did he sound annoyed?...  <click>"

me: hmm.  I may need to change my phone number...  Or, maybe Kate is the
Blue-Tooth-Fairy...

life is good.
Steve