Re: Line Following & Chibots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:46:00 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

   Well, I may not be competetive yet for first place.

Well, you got me beat - I’m running around 40 cm/sec on my course (4+ meters with at least 16 6” radius turns, including a “L-R-L-R” section as well as a couple of “R-L-L-R” sections. And even then, it still looses the line on rare occassions (it has a “detect and refind” routine that works pretty well).

   Unfortunately, this robot has hit its design limits.

Mine hasn’t, but then again, this is my “one size fits all” entry. It’s really designed for the line maze (at a significantly slower speed, I fear - I really like accuracy). I was planning on a rack-&-pinion or at least front-wheel steering system for the basic course, but I’ve run into an interesting problem - I’m almost completely out of light sensors. I can swap RCXs around between robots, but swapping the light sensors is a lot tougher (they end up built into the structure much more). So far Trellis (general line follower) uses three, and I’m working on two mini-sumo robots that will each need at least two (perhaps more). I’ve got to locate any others I have built into stuff.

   Ben Hur... driven by two RC buggy motors.

Now that should be fun! If it doesn’t work on line following, let’s have a robotic demolition derby.... ;-)

Are you using BrickOS?

On other ChiBots issues, making a pure-LEGO sumo that’s under 500 grams and fits in a 10 cm x 10 cm footprint is... interesting. The RCX is 10 cm long all by itself.

-- Brian Davis