Re: line follower?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.laflrc
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:32:35 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.laflrc, Bryan Bonahoom wrote:

   Since none of my ideas were going to look real original any more after playing around at your house last weekend, I resolved to make the rack & pinion approach work better.

If it’s any help, my first line-following event (NEIRG, with up to 135° sharp turns) I resolved to start from scratch and “be original”. By event day, I ended up with Ben Hur’s little brother quite unintentionally. But it worked.

   so now I have the light sensors mounted on an arm that swings side to side... By playing with the arm length, I impact how fast it goes off/on the line

Yes, you can manually adjust the sensitivity.

   With this done, the car was following the line at about 30-35 cm/sec.

Nice. So it tries to bracket the line with two light sensors? Can you also vary the spacing between the light sensors (an additional tuning parameter)?

   ...simple SW approach.

Does that mean if it looses the line, it looses the line? Or can you have it “notice” which side it was last seen on, and try to re-find the line?

   So, I bit the bullet and went to a 3 sensor approach. I have an initial cut at the SW done and first results look like about 50 cm/sec...I need to start refining the SW & arm length to achieve faster speeds.

Even nicer, and better I suspect than I’ll have (I’ve not timed it for speed yet). How are you dealing with three sensors? I just started trying to follow a single line with three sensors today, using a different mechanical platform (“horse & cart” like Ben Hur, but with smaller tires). There are a *lot* of options I’m realizing. I’m trying to have one robot (Trellis Mk2) to enter in all three line-following events (obviously not optimized, but fun).

   What I need to do is put together a course instead of using the test oval...

Yep. As a simple test, make an oval with turns of 6” radius and see how fast it can go. Then make a “snake” of perhaps 4 alternating 6” radius quarter-turns. Black electrical tape on a piece of posterboard will work (although ChiBots is inverted, that is, white strip on black background)

-- Brian Davis