Subject:
September 2003 Meeting Minutes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:14:09 GMT

We met 14 September, 2003, from before 2:30PM to after 8:30PM. Thanks yet again
in Steve Martin for hosting and his family for allowing us to impose.

We welcome first-timers Joseph Greene and his charming family and Chayme
Higgins. Well, actually, Chayme has been to several build dates already.

In attendance:
Steve McDonough
Leah Cardaci
Brian Darrow
Thomas C. Coleman II
Mark Peterson
Jeramy Spurgeon
Chayme Higgins
David Gregory
Brian Alano
Joseph Greene and family
Steve Martin
John and Selena Moore

Being the creative AFOLs that we are, we ate pizza for supper.

CONSTITUTION.
As President Steve Martin had other obligations for part of the evening,
Vice-President Jeramy led the meeting. We briefly discussed the proposed
constitution, but the secretary forgot to bring copies to view. Jeramy asked if
the constitution had a provision specifying that the secretary should maintain
the active members list. Jeramy tabled further discussion due to lack of hard
copies and a desire to focus on the upcoming GATS. Brian A. nonetheless asked
that the consitution be put to a vote prior to the November meeting so we would
be able to nominate officers in November. Jeramy then suggested hard copies be
available for people's consideration at the October GATS.

GATS.
Minifig search. A minifig search similar to what was done at the Indy Road Show
was brought up. Leah appears to be in charge of this effort. The themes for
minifigs to look for will probably be fairy tale creatures again, but there may
be Halloween constumes and cartoon characters. Rather than hand outs, we'll make
posters of what to look for. It was decided that due to the size of the layout,
we'll make a poster for each corner of what is visible from that vantage point.

Public relations info. Leah requested that public relations info about the club
be posted at the GATS again this year. I think Jeramy volunteered to send Leah
his file from last year.

Zoning. Before Steve M. left for his other obligation, he requested we discuss
zoning for the GATS layout. We did, and decided everything was pretty much fine
where it was. Due to a lack of solicitation of MOCs, the movie studio back lot
area was rezoned for other uses, possibly expansion of Castleland or to be
deeded to Amish County. Mark P. later made notes of the layout and will(?) be
updating the Track Designer file. We are pleasantly surprised to see the space
filling up nicely.

Transportation. We will not have the loan of Jeramy's relation's trailer for
this GATS. A pool of mini-vans and trucks was considered, but Jeramy decided to
price renting a trailer instead. Mark P.'s truck can pull it. Money from the
GATS would be used to pay for it.

Play area. Should we provide a play area? Pro: TLC would like us to. It would be
nice for little kids to have something to do. It would keep people at the layout
longer. It's a nice gesture to the attendees. It builds goodwill with TLC. Con:
it's more work; requires man power and specialized equipment (a build table). We
are under no obligation. We need to be cognizant of liability. We don't want to
see our bricks walk away. We need to make sure it's okay with the GATS folks.
Discussion: if we limit it to Duplo bricks, we are targeting those who otherwise
don't get much out of GATS, and we make it easier for older siblings and adults
to enjoy the layout. Duplo bricks don't walk away as easily as classic ones.
Brian A. thinks his collection is large enough by itself. We have electic Duplo
trains and track that help the play area fit the GATS objective. The preferred
play surface is a table with cut-outs for Lego buckets to be inserted, possibly
with a guttered outside edge. Decision: a play area will not be a club objective
for this GATS. If individuals feel motivated, they are welcome to provide a
Duplo play area.

DCC. To make it manageable, we'll target DCC for only the small loop between the
town and Castleland. The roundhouse will also be DCC-enabled, but it will be
switchable to analog operation. Brian A. was appointed DCC guy.

DEHUMIDIFIER. Steve M. requested that we consider spending some of the GATS
prize money (being certain of victory) on a de-humidifier for the barn.

EVENT COORDINATOR.
Jeramy suggested we create an office of Event Coordinator. In discussion it was
suggested that rather than a constitutional office, each event could have its
own coordinator. Such a person's duties would include liason with the event
sponsor, overseeing the creating of the layouts, and managing the logistics of
getting the layout transported to the event, set up, manned, taken down, and
transported back.

Much work was done on the layout. More MOCs were added. Most of the superfluous,
disordered plastic was removed from the tables and even some sorting got done. I
don't think anybody took pictures of MOCs, so you'll have to see them at GATS!

Respectfully submitted,
Brian (can you believe I posted this the *next* day) Alano,
Secretary