Re: Versions 2 and 3 of micromotorized crossing gates.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 02:42:16 GMT

Michel Magnan wrote:

Very nice and compact, but I would have to agree with other posts that you
should use an elastic between the motor and the gate arm.
My first one had the elastic, but Steve Martin said it was ugly. Well, okay, he
actually said something like it looked realistic, but his face had ugly written
all over it. :)

I agree about the jamming 66 2/3% (see http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=10253).

The fact is that the micromotor can be made to slip before jamming by very
lightly lubricating the stud that connects to the pulley. I use "fingerprint
lubricant".

The other point I learned the hard way, is that unless you are using an RCX1,
you need to program progressively longer swing up and down times, as the
batteries weaken the arm doesn't swing as far.  By the end of one day at our
last show, the arms were only getting about 2/3 of the way up and down.  So this
year I have used all 5 programs, modifying each to run the swing arm a bit
longer than the previous.  That way I don't have to bring a laptop and reprogram
the RCX on scene.

This is a great tip. Ideally, we'll be controlling these with Mark Riley's LACC,
which allows setting the swing time at the RCX at run-time.