Re: RoadShow Attendance/Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:39:53 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Steve Martin wrote:
In lugnet.org.us.indylug, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Tonight, I hope to draw up instructions for building a really simple wall
following robot, that I took to Brickfest.  I entered it in the maze contest.
It's not very fast, but it won a design award in the Technic room.  It's very
simple.  1 motor, a battery box, and a few Technic parts.

How did your other 'bots do?

Well, now that you asked...

I actually took a couple maze robots.  In addition to Wally, my simple robot, I
had a right-hand wall follower, A-Mazing, (which I may have brought to the last
meeting)

My wife liked it so much, she made a left-hand version which was quite similar.
Due to some fancy programming, my robot just edged hers out for first place at
Brickfest, giving it a second win in as many weeks, and it's third win sense
June.

Next was Pipe Racers, where a robot has to hold on to the outside of a pipe made
from inch an a half PVC, and navigate from one end to the over straights and 45
degree bends, while a robot on the other end is trying to do the same thing.

My entry was pretty fast, so it was able to get past 10 of 12 turns every time
before encountering the robot coming the other direction (which passed 1 to 2
turns).  None of them were able to push mine entry back, so it won every round,
and the event.

The sumo was interesting, because the robots had to fit into an eight inch
CIRCLE.  They could change shape after the match began, but were quite limited
in size.  I got lucky against the toughest competitor when his wheel came off,
and the robot rolled off the field, so I was able to win that, also.

Overall, it was a very good weekend, winning all three events, my wife getting
second in the maze (and fourth in sumo) and I got a design award for another
robot.

Steve