Re: J3a slowing under DCC power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:48:26 GMT

We noticed what is listed below in a reply from Mark Riley and I beleive it is
the problem!  So Brian, different decoders? different speed settings?

In lugnet.org.us.indylug, John C. Moore wrote:
Re: DCC slowing?
Author:
Mark Riley
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:58:52 GMT
From:
Mark Riley <markril@hotmail.STOPSPAMcom>

Perhaps the speed of the two motors was mismatched for one reason
or another.  This would cause the two motors to generate more
heat (because they're pushing or pulling against one another) and lead to
a possible overheating situation.  I've read about this one engine
"fighting"
another on the various DCC email lists.  There could be several reasons for
a speed mismatch.

Do you know what brand and model of decoders you were using?

Different decoders may move at different speeds with the same
speed setting.  This could be because of special decoder features, like
"Back-EMF" or "silent drive" or whatever.  Also, most (if not all)
decoders allow you to vary how the decoder responds to speed
settings.  For example, you can program the decoder to only go
at 75% of max speed when a full throttle setting is given.  If one
decoder was programmed this way and the other not, then that
would definitely be a problem.

To avoid this kind problem, DCC users often keep a seperate
written record of how each decoder is programmed.  I only have
a few DCC motors now, so it is easy to keep track of, but I can
see how it would be a useful idea once I get more decoders installed.

Also, I know one guy out there has written a speed calibration program
that measures the speed of an engine around a loop under various loads
and automatically calibrates the decoder.  This kind of program would be
a definite plus for consisting and other multiple decoder situations.  I'll
have
to look into how this could be done with LDCC...

HTH,

Mark