Subject:
Can IndyLUG Help Peeron.com?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 03:25:03 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

As I mentioned at our last meeting, I'm one of the administrators of
http://www.peeron.com/
which collects and organizes inventories of Lego sets.  Part of that task
is building a parts database that is comprehensive and comprehensible.  To
that end, Peeron uses LDraw images and photographs of parts, so people can
tell parts apart.

However, that parts database is far from complete, for a variety of
reasons.  Few people send photos to Peeron, and fewer are accepted[1].
Given the frequent need for review or revision of photos, the best
solution is usually to have a Peeron admin take the pictures and deal with
them.[2]

So, I would like some help.  If you own a Lego piece that is not pictured
on Peeron (or several) and can lend it to me at our meeting on Sunday, I
will, during Spring Break this month, photograph it, add it to Peeron, and
return it at our April meeting.

What parts does Peeron need?

Any parts in current inventories without pictures (this includes printed
parts).  My usual strategy is to use the "Show Pictures" option for an
inventory and then scroll down the inventory, looking for "Sorry, no
picture" in the Pictures column or a description of a pattern in the Notes
column.

Parts from the new Basketball sets[3].  From Scala and Belville.  From the
Dinosaurs.  From Rock Raiders.  Vintage parts.  Pirate sails.  Floating
Boats.  Jack Stone.  Znap.  Most of the stuff listed on
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/973

Basically, any part not in Peeron, except the pre-2003 Star Wars sets and
any set that credits me for doing the inventory (I own those[4], but
haven't gotten around to taking the pictures yet).

Thanks for any help,
--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/

[1] The Peeron photo policy, as described in the FAQ
http://www.peeron.com/inv/faq/#pictures
is to use only largish, sharp photos that show detail clearly.  Taking
and touching up such photos is difficult and time-consuming, and you'd be
amazed how many fuzzy pictures I see. . .

[2] Telling me that Peeron could use BrickLink parts is not what I'm
begging for.  End of discussion.

[3] My thinking here is "if you build it, they will come"---those sets
have a large number of highly specialized parts which would make them
frustrating to inventory, unless the parts database already has the parts.

[4] Except for 9754 and 7155, and I'm missing the Bat Cape from set 6097
and part 6161 from set 5987.