Re: Train control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:01:04 GMT

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Brian B. Alano wrote:

I'm interested to hear feedback on the train control system. I know
there were glitches. I'd like to know which ones were most serious.

Actually, one of the main problems was one of track design: there were no
(available) sidings long enough to store a train while switching, and
switching was impractible for the inner loop because there was only one
way to/from it.  I'll try to remember to address these issues in a future
post about layout design. . .

The main problems with the train control systems were: nonfunctional
switches (duh), non-intuitive interface, and lack of information.
Basically, to operate the switches with a live train (without shutting
down one or, more often, two tracks) the operator had to look up which
switch(s) to turn, decide when to start, and remember the code for a given
switch, and click the appropriate controls---from a list.  Then the
operator had to hope the trains would switch successfully, without knowing
when or if the point had switched.  (I think the most sucessful switching
experience I had was when I activated a point just after the middle train
had passed it---just before the middle train came back to it, it
switched.)

In practice, the lack of manual backup control (without ripping up the
switch) was a problem, and from an aesthetic and setup/teardown issue the
fact that the point automation had to be disassembled to put in or take
out was disappointing (all the controls are currently in at least a few
pieces, in zipper bags), as was the fact that non-Lego wire was running on
the table.  (Yes, I know the only solution to that is to buy longer Lego
wires and cut them up. . .)

The solution I see is, first, to get a good intuitive GUI working, that
shows the track (perhaps using the Track Designer pictures) with clear
symbols showing (in an obvious way) which way the points are set at any
given time and how to change them.  It would also be nice to have a way to
tell, not only if the points have been told to switch, but if they
actually have.  My idea here is: since each RCX has three inputs which (I
think) we were not using, could we run a sensor to each distinct section
of track, telling at least if it is on (but ideally telling the direction
and level of current flow)?  That information could be easily shown on the
GUI (for example, green for hot track, red for cold track), and with a
little software could show for (almost all) points whether or not they
have actually switched, or are in the process but haven't quite gotten
there. . .

(Actually, separately powering sections of track without relying on the
points to do this might also be nice, but that's even more complicated.)

I think the idea of one person being able to sit in the center and move
trains all over the layout, while trains are running, is a cool idea.  It
didn't happen a lot a the show, but I think we've picked up some
experience that will tell us of changes to make.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~tgarriso/