Subject:
Train control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:48:52 GMT

(BTW, nice photos folks!)

I'm interested to hear feedback on the train control system. I know there were
glitches. I'd like to know which ones were most serious.

I couldn't help but work on yet another motorized switch design. This one is 5.3
x 7 x 6,  1.3 studs wider, one stud longer, and the same height as the last one.
Mechanically, it uses the same priciple, but it's so sturdy it easily throws an
*unmodified* point in 4.5 to 5 seconds. The throw in both directions goes to the
physical limits of the track's switch. The only real drawback is that it requires
two plates *under* the track for bracing. However, if the switch is snapped to
the baseplate, it only needs one plate underneath for bracing. And since a point
section can't be snapped to the baseplate, it floats nearly a plate above the
baseplate anyway. The motor can easily be located left of, right of, above or
below the  switch, so we can go for a lower profile if we want to. No rare parts.
As for uncommon ones: two worm gears, four 1 x 1 technic bricks w/ hole, two 2 x
2 x 2 x 2 brackets, one or two pulley belts (size and number depends on how much
torque the particular point requires) and for the flag, one 12t double bevel gear.

Oh, and a flag can be attached which moves similar to the flag on the previous
version, only this time it points in the direction the track is switched. :)

No photos or .dat files yet. I'll bring a prototype to Feb. meeting.
-Brian