Subject:
Train control (was Re: Small Park)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.indylug
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:14:21 GMT

It's cute!

I've got a micro-motor point switcher working. Stole and improved
someone else's idea. I'll post it and give formal credit later. Next is
the automated level crossing.

I own I think 8 working micro-motors, which is enough for one level
crossing and 6 points. Anyone want to donate more to the effort? Of
course, I only have 2 RCX, so I can only control 6 motors independently.

Oh, Steve H., my design would work fine with a mana, but I haven't
actually tried it. Maybe that's how I can overcome my micro-motor and
output limitations. Downside is the size of the mana--it would have to
be covered with terrain or a building.

I haven't thought much about WHY we need to control the points. "Because
we can is my first inkling." Given that, what is the best way to
demonstrate THAT we can? 1. Let spectators control the points? ;-) 2.
Switch the points randomly, with the contraints that we don't derail
trains or let them collide? 3. Do what trains are for: load and unload
cargo. 4. Shunt cars. 5. Give demonstrations.

Well, 2. looks like a pre-requisite for all the others except 5. (Which
makes me realize the other reason we want to control the points--because
it's fun!), so I guess I'll start there.

Looks like I'll be using reed switches to detect train cars. If any of
you who are not "rubbish at soldering" want to make a few, here are the
instructions:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=16943. I'll probably make a few anyway,
just to prove to myself I can do it. Does anyone know the
characteristics of reed switches? I mean, it the resistance essentially
zero and infinity, or does it vary with the strength of the magnetic
field the switch encounters? I ask because I'd like to multiplex the
switches into the RCX.

As for the human interface to the control system (which we would need
for demo option 5), I don't have enough polarity switches to make a good
human interface out of hardware, so I guess it'll have to be done in
software. Anybody got a screen shot of a modern train control console?
Maybe I could model that on a laptop.

Finally, I really do want to make a truck that can drive autonomously on
the road plates. What do you think? Hey, I don't own any road plates to
test with. Guess I'll have to buy some 8-).
-Brian

Leah Cardaci wrote:
Hey all,
[snip]
Pictures of the park can be found at:
http://skyllar.topcities.com/Leah/Park.html. I designed the park to divide
into four pieces with the removal of a few elements to allow for easy transport.

LMKWYK,
-L

--
Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes
from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and