 Organizations / United States / GFLUG / 20
Re: GFLTC Display at TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gflug
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:49:21 GMT

In lugnet.events, Robin Werner writes:
LUGNETers,

The Greater Florida LEGO Train Club and Users Group will have a display at
Toys R Us, Saturday, June 30, 2001 in Tampa, Florida.

OK here are the sales numbers for the TRU when GFLTC/GFLUG put
up an indoor display there on June 30, 2001

A couple of caveats. It took a while to get to a manager who could
access sales and I did not want to take up too much time so he
was only able to report on total one day sales at the TRU and
not on Lego sales.

The summary is that June 30 (Sat) total sales was 10% higher than
June 23 (Sat) total sales and 10% higher than July 7 (Sat) total
sales.  So our event effectively gave a 10% uptick in total sales
in the TRU store.

As mentioned before, the other positive feedback we got was the
store registered 5 customer requests asking when GFLTC will
reappear in the store.

Of course the managers comments were very positive:
"I will take a 10% increase in sales any day"
"You guys are always welcome here to display any time"

My recommendations to any other group that would like to try this
event are these:
1.  Try to get the store directors attention (who has more clout) and
    assign a person to help on setup (moving TRU stuff out of the way)
    Our own setup was easy - 1 hour max as it was only tables and crowd
    barriers.
2.  Mention ahead of time about the sales numbers or other expectations
3.  Lego postcards to members were a plus (probably pulled in 3 dozen people
    but be very specific about what Lego should print on the postcards.
    There was a small mixup on the printouts.
4.  We put up in store flyers both at the entrance and at the Lego aisles
    about a month in advance of the event with store permission.
5.  The Mindstorms table for demo was a hit.  I think parents really
    never get a feel for what Mindstorms is all about and being able to
    ask questions from a non-Lego employee was nice for them.

That's all I can think of.  Have fun and good luck.

KK

Here's the original posting with pics of the GFLTC display
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=12028