 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 455
454  |  456
Subject:
LEGO Mars Exploration Rover: Installation Pics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug, lugnet.general, lugnet.fun.party
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 03:28:09 GMT

LEGO Mars Exploration Rover: on Display in N.J. !!!

Installation Pics!

On Display at the Paramus Park Mall Lego Store

Mars Rover description, written from an offical sign

“The LEGO Company first unveiled this full scale model
of a Mars Exploration Rover with The Planetary Society
in October 2002 at the World Space Congress.

The rover model weighs 130 kilograms (290 pounds)
and is made from approximately 90,000 LEGO elements.
The rover model took 650 man-hours to build,
and the construction process took about 3 months.

A few details are not perfectly accurate to the final
Mars Exploration Rover design, which was modified as
it was being developed and tested. Overall, though, the
model is the proper size and shape, with all the
instruments, components and structures represented
faithfully and to scale, from the four cameras on the
top of the mast to the magnets in front and the Sundial
in back.

The LEGO Company has sponsored The Planetary Society’s
Red Rover Goes to Mars since its inception in 1998.“

Installation Pics!

Bright and early the Truck the rover and two men arrived
at the Lego Store. In comes the sections of the 1:1 scale
LEGO Mars Exploration Rover. All glued, like tour models
are, the rover model is strong and fits together in less
than 10 sub parts, sporting a metal frame.

Thumbnail Timelapse: Begin

I even helped with the finishing touches.

Thumbnail Timelapse: End

Installation Pics!

On display now at the Paramus Park Mall LEGO Store
in New Jersey! Great work by the Model Team, the
details and cool construction techniques are best
seen in person!

Eric Sophie
Visual Coordinator
LEGO Store #17