 Local / United States / New Jersey / 212
Re: LEGO Mars Exploration Rover: Installation Pics!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.nj, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:47:22 GMT

   The extra weight of the two Mini-Figs should be avoided. Assuming they are still there, not melted aleady, then burry them until Fed-Ex sets up shop.

Sneak a pair of Jar-Jar minifigs along with your luggage to keep the weight roughly similar, and you’re golden. The bit about melting is a valid concern, though. How hot does it get on the solar side of Mars? ABS is toast if it ever hits 300 degrees or more. Maybe they sent metal minifigs?

Actually, they’re printed representations of minifigs on an oval disk attached to the DVDs on each lander. More info at the Planetary Society site, here’s a pic taken on Mars by the Spirit rover:

Note the three titanium bricks holding the DVD in place, used as additional color calibration targets.

Kelly