 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 353
352  |  354
Subject:
GardenSLUG goes to school
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:56:48 GMT

GardenSLUG's First Event

Well gang, we done good.  I have received a number of positive compliments
about our effort at the Flocktown School 2003 Education Fair.

For those who weren't able to join us, we arrived about 1 hour before the
event started to find the organizers had obtained an old countertop for our
ramp.  Given more prep time I know we could have done some dress up to it
but we'll save that for next year (Watch out train guy!)

Eric, Jenny and I sorted out the bricks by having individual bins with
wheels/hubs, mod plates and bricks with pins, plates for car bodies and
general parts.  The bins were placed one desks in the first half of the
room.  This allowed the children (and adults!) access from both sides and an
area to work.  Some of the creations they made were amazing!  Even the
dino-heads got used :-)

The ramp was set up on other desks on the other side of the room. The
children loved the challenge of trying to run the full length of the ramp
without falling off the edges.  Many of them went back and re-designed their
cars for a second and third try.  Later we added some ramps from one of the
racer sets at the bottom to add to the fun.

The event ran from 10 AM to 3 PM and in the case of our room, a little
beyond that.  Some children stayed just long enough to build their car and
run it down the ramp while others had to be bribed to go home (in this case
our favorite lil' builder, Jack).

We all had a great time and have been invited back for next year!

Jeff