 Organizations / United States / GardenSLUG / 254
Re: A new daughter!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people, lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.org.us.gardenslug
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:46:28 GMT

In lugnet.people, Erik Olson writes:
Congratulations!

What is your wife's name? Is there some Finnish heritage on her side?

First or maiden?  Catherine Byland (to answer both).  No.  She's half Polish
Jew and half Swiss English.  And I'm a mutt with several known ancestors from
England and Wales, and several from across northern Europe.  I might have
Finnish in me, but it's not a family name anyway.

We had two criteria for name selection.  The most important was the felicity of
the the names individually and as they transitioned across the name.  So each
of the names Kivi and Alexis we find pleasing as well as Kivi-Alexis-Weeks and
Kivi-Weeks.  The other criterion was the aesthetic of the meanings behind the
names.  This is somewhat problematic since different sources list different
meanings for some names, but we just feel free to choose the one(s) we like.

Kivi Alexis "means" 'stone guardian of Earth'.  My son Garrett's name "means"
either 'firm disputant' or 'strong with spear' (which I translate as badass
;-).  (He has two last names and no middle name.)

I like to say Kivi rocks!  (Because of the name meaning, this tickles me...it
took a while for my wife to catch on :-)

Chris