 Organizations / United States / BayLUG / 23
Re: Next BayLUG Meeting / First BayLTC Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 00:52:11 GMT

Well, for the first meeting, we have some things to discuss - major things
that are hard to change later on.  We need to set up standards for module
construction, track locations, spacing, number of lines, etc.  These are
critical, since it determines how much space is left for other items.
Having 4 studs too few for a large building means not putting it in the
layout or a lot of rebuilding.  If people want to build to their own specs,
that is fine, but they should have some idea of how to connect to the main
layout and would probably need to make transition modules for each end of
their section.

There will be some input I will seek from people on ideal layouts for my
garage, considering that I want something nice to run at home while also
being compatible for running at train shows.  Remember that the main
perspective changes 180 degrees!  Rather than being inside the loop,
spectators are outside the loop, so some modules will have to be reversed.

I think that the 6 vs. 8 wide discussion will be the least of our problems,
considering that if you build for the eights, you can still run the sixers
on the lines.  I have yet to begin module construction because I don't want
to have to rebuild anything and I don't have an official club standard to
adhere to.  More likely, our debate will be over module depth, number of
tracks, distance between, normal track height, maximum car dimensions, off
limits color schemes (see the "paradisa railroad crossing" from WAMALUG and
you will understand), etc.

We also should try to figure out who can build what and see what we need and
don't need.  We would feel silly showing up with three roundhouses and no
train stations.  A "Town Plan" should be drafted up so that lot dimensions
can be established.  Perhaps we can find room for (eventually) a business
district (skyscrapers/high rises), China town (where else do the Ninja sets
go?), freight harbor, industrial complex, suburbs, etc.

Mike Poindexter