Re: Next BayLUG Meeting / First BayLTC Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, lugnet.org.us.baylug
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 01:48:02 GMT

My apologies for the lengthy post.

In lugnet.loc.us.ca.sf, Mike Poindexter writes:
Well, for the first meeting, we have some things to discuss - major things
that are hard to change later on.  We need to set up standards
<snip>

This is good.

There will be some input I will seek from people on ideal layouts for my
garage, considering that I want something nice to run at home while also
being compatible for running at train shows.  Remember that the main
perspective changes 180 degrees!  Rather than being inside the loop,
spectators are outside the loop, so some modules will have to be reversed.

It's always uglier *inside* the monkey suit.

I've been putting backs on my buildings, and one building I've hinged in case
people really want to see the inside (for whatever reason). Maybe some hinged
buildings can be opened to make them look bigger.

I think that the 6 vs. 8 wide discussion will be the least of our problems,
considering that if you build for the eights, you can still run the sixers
on the lines.  I have yet to begin module construction because I don't want
to have to rebuild anything and I don't have an official club standard to
adhere to.

I have built only very crude 8-wide cars just to experiment (can we start our
own gauge-naming convention? L6, L8, or L10 ? :-) trains yet. Though if we are
to plan for any 8-wide, wouldn't that make a major diff in track layout
considering that curved pieces couldn't be contiguous for (I think) 4 track
segments?

More likely, our debate will be over module depth

Okay: who wants to be the first to build a subway Russell? :-) At least we'd
have a place for any RockRaiders stuff too... ;-)

number of
tracks, distance between, normal track height, maximum car dimensions, off
limits color schemes (see the "paradisa railroad crossing" from WAMALUG and
you will understand), etc.

You don't like that crossing Mike?  ;-)  Actually, the only color schemes I'm
against are those you wouldn't see in several towns in real life (there are
some anomolies, which is why I say "several"). While I don't want a pink level
crossing, I'd like to contribute a small pink candy/ice cream store (or
someone else could make it, cuz I don't have any of those "ice cream" pieces).

We also should try to figure out who can build what and see what we need and
don't need.

To get some possible meeting preliminaries out of the way, should we start a
list of what buildings folks already have made, and what kind of footprint
they have with and without baseplates? That way, we can get an idea of what's
made and what it sits on, so no one duplicates unnecessarily. Also, being that
some buildings don't take up an entire baseplate, there could be some
provisional adjustments in modular landscaping so that some landscaping could
be easily moved around on say 6x6 plates, or small baseplates, or whatever, to
accomodate track layouts, or for ease of relocation of a building should it be
desired.

We would feel silly showing up with three roundhouses and no
train stations.

Heheh... I propose there be a thumb-wrestling tournament to settle the
roundhouse issue. Either that or, whoever can give away the most bricks to
fellow club members in equal amounts is the winner. ;-)

I've still got a lighted train station. It's kind of a country-looking
station. I'm kind of loathe to rewire it given that I never seem to have
enough time to do it. But eventually I want to.

A "Town Plan" should be drafted up so that lot dimensions
can be established.  Perhaps we can find room for (eventually) a business
district (skyscrapers/high rises), China town (where else do the Ninja sets
go?), freight harbor, industrial complex, suburbs, etc.

As a layout is agreed upon, and general size and location of buildings are
confirmed, it might be good to post all this graphically on a webpage.

Also, given the fact that some people might not make it to a meeting or a
show, it might be good to work up some complete layouts that don't include
certain people's stuff. For the missing pieces, maybe we could lay down a
layer of astroturf under the layout? :-D

BTW, here's something else for the agenda: what name should we give the town?
Legoland? My train station says that, but I'm not married to it.