 Organizations / United States / 571
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:41:48 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Shiri Dori writes:

Ah, I knew the drinking issue would come up.

Here's my stand on this:
I don't drink. I have no reason to.

Well, I'm not exactly urging you to take it up, but...

I cannot drink, as I am allergic to grapes,

OH MY GOD! (Oh wait, I'm a heathen.) This would be unbearable.  Can you
trade in your body for one that works properly?  The fermented juice of the
grape is one of life's great pleasures.  :-)

But more seriously, there's lots to drink that has no grape.

And in fact, the beverage most likely to be consumed at an adult gathering in
the US doesn't have any grapes in it (at least as far as I know, I don't
pretend to be an expert on alchoholic beverages).

I would be dissapointed though which an organization which felt it had to
limit itself to 21 and up because drinking was so important to it. I do not
personally have a problem with people drinking (and happily joined the 21 and
up crowd which retired to the bar at Brickfest Friday night), but I hate to
see people get so defensive about drinking. I say this as a child of an
alchoholic (and god knows if I'm playing with fire for myself by going to
bars, and even having a glass of wine or champagne once in a while). I have
experienced too many communities going down destructive paths because of the
issue of drinking.

Frank