 Organizations / United States / 512
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:28:27 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Peter White writes:
Larry said:
A side issue certainly is: "what is an appropriate rule for a club
to have in general" and on that I'd say world wide comment is welcome
and appropriate. You (and I) should stick to that issue, I'd say.
And I'll repeat my comment so I'm clear, exclusionary rules are not,
in general, a good thing for clubs to have.

Glad we have agreed on the major point of this discussion.

No, that's the *minor* or secondary point.

The major point is what NELUG should do, and I continue to assert "none of your
(and my) business" is the correct answer. Worldwide membership or no, what
really matters is the realistic membership base.

Now, a counter example would be that the GMLTC doesn't really do a lot of
Belville building and probably doesn't welcome prospective members who only
want to build Belville since it doesn't fit the scale that the GMLTC works • to.
But to ban those who like 8wide (or those who like 6wide) trains would be
unnecessarily exclusionary.

Wonders what Larry is on about with this example.

Let's try working the example more slowly so you get it.

I just in the paragraph before  that one essentially said "exclusionary rules
are in general not good for clubs to have" then in the next paragraph gave an
example of a perfectly legitimate (hypothetical) rule: GMLTC, a train club,
doesn't want any members who want to build Belville stuff. But GMLTC, a train
club, shouldn't make exclusionary rules about what width trains to build,
that's the wrong kind of exclusion to make.

See? It's often the counter examples that show the validity of the general
rule.

You still sooking from your last visit to loc.au.

Sorry, could you clarify what you're saying? I'm not familiar with "sook" as a
word and the sentence doesn't parse for me.

To Shiri's latest: I'm reminded of an old Woody Allen one liner:
"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member".

Wasn't it Groucho Marx.

Very well could be, Woody is a big Marx fan and reused some of his bits.