 Organizations / United States / 506
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 09:30:52 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.org.us, Peter White writes:

"Outside" and "aussies", why generalise Larry when it can only mean one
person. Who is chiding and demanding now ?

You are.  Although there have been more aussies than just you participating,
you've been the chider, that's my read of the thread.

Luckily you know all, or is that you are a know-all.
Actually you were demanding, as per usual.

The whole issue is about access to 'LUG' events, which is a world-wide issue,
surely of interest to anyone in a lego-fan group.

Well, no, the main issue is about access to NELUG. As I said, it's no one's
business who to let in except NELUG members unless somehow NELUG were granted • a
monopoly on LEGO clubs in the area (who would do this? I dunno...) and no • other
club could form in the area, in which case it would be appropriate for all • LEGO
fans resident in the geography to comment on, since they would all then be
stakeholders. That still doesn't fit you (or me).

There are no geographic restrictions on membership, read the thread.

A side issue certainly is: "what is an appropriate rule for a club to have in
general" and on that I'd say world wide comment is welcome and appropriate. • You
(and I) should stick to that issue, I'd say. And I'll repeat my comment so I'm
clear, exclusionary rules are not, in general, a good thing for clubs to have.

Glad we have agreed on the major point of this discussion.

Now, a counter example would be that the GMLTC doesn't really do a lot of
Belville building and probably doesn't welcome prospective members who only
want to build Belville since it doesn't fit the scale that the GMLTC works to.
But to ban those who like 8wide (or those who like 6wide) trains would be
unnecessarily exclusionary.

Wonders what Larry is on about with this example.

Mature teens who like LEGO are more like adults who like LEGO than they are
like children who like LEGO.

Absolutely

To repeat myself yet again, that's my general feeling but NELUG should be free
to do as NELUG pleases. Outsiders can comment, but not chide and not demand.

I wasn't chiding or demanding, if you are under that misconception, that is
your problem. I was requesting flexibility in a restrictive rule.
Frank put the other side of the argument perfectly.

Larry you're quite welcome to express opinions wherever, as I am, so don't
tell me what to comment or not comment on.

I just did. Deal.

Larry, get a life ! It's a wonder you get much of a chance to put two bricks
together, so many opinions, so little time.
You still sooking from your last visit to loc.au.

To Shiri's latest: I'm reminded of an old Woody Allen one liner:
"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member".

Wasn't it Groucho Marx.

In your case I think you've taken the very mature opposite stance, you'd • rather
not belong to a club that you had to force your way into.

pete.w