 Organizations / United States / 452
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 03:26:01 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Xcalabur <Xcalabur@rocketmail.com> wrote:
I apologize that I seemed arrogant.

It's ok. It's difficult to convey intentions and tone in newsgroup postings
and it's easy to misinterpret.

Do you think Shiri will be admitted in by "asking nicely?"  No, she already
tried that, and was turned down.  Now, I don't wanna break out the muskets • and

The counter question is: if it's a huge fight to get her in, will the
situation be healthy afterward?

That is a good point to think about.  I'm not sure I can answer it.  I think
that should be between Shiri and NELUG.

again, I stress that I'm a third party, but I would like to know why you are
the only LUG to have an age limit? (to my knowledge)  None of the other ones,
including GMLUG, which I belonged to at 17, have age limits, why do you?

This might be an interesting point to consider, but I don't feel that it's
particularly relevant. As far as I know, we're the only LUG to not have
geographic restrictions -- we're based in New England, but we'll take people
from anywhere. If I remember right, we even have some quite far-away members
who were turned down by what seemed to them to be more local groups. I think
those other groups were being silly, but that's completely their right. As
an organization, they get to define their own character.

To NELUG, being a group of adult enthusiasts is important (obviously more
important than geography). That's a part of what makes us who we are. As
someone else here pointed out, maturity doesn't have much to do with whether
one is technically and adult or not. In fact, as Lego fans, we're all sort
of "immature" in one way or another. In a certain sense, that's not what's
at issue.

I personally find people's point about 16-year-old lego fans being closer to
the adult-fan world than the child's a good one. But, we DID have a
discussion about this (at more than one meeting), and came to a consensus
that 18 was the sensible place to draw the line.