 Organizations / United States / 443
Re: Age limitations
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us, lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 02:28:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.us, Matthew Miller writes:
Xcalabur <Xcalabur@rocketmail.com> wrote:
What is "cool" and "not cool" has nothing to do with it.  And, as I said

I didn't say "*what* is cool". I said "*who* is cool". That's a completely
separate issue. The actual words used may be "mature enough", but it won't
feel that way to the recipient of a rejection. It's painful enough for Shiri
to be rejected on what seems to her to be arbitrary grounds; how much more
painful would it be if we (or the community as a whole) handed down a "this
person isn't fit to be one of us"?

OK, so replace "what" with "who".  I still don't think that changes anything.

before, just being a third party, I feel that this is VERY arrogant on • NELUG's
part as a whole...I think we'd all be satisfied if this were taken case by
case; have a member vote.  Is the person mature enough to be in NELUG?  And,

We had a member vote. It was unanimous that we would draw the line at 18.

I'm glad for Shiri that so many people are willing to stick up for her, but
I am also amazed by the number of people who have no direct connection with
NELUG who are so willing to attack us. THAT strikes me as arrogant. If it
were just messags of support for Shiri, that would be one thing, but the
recent few messages (including but certainly not limited to yours) have been
very attacking, and I'm not sure how that is supposed to help anyone.

I apologize that I seemed arrogant.
This is not so much an attack, and I'm sorry it came off that way. But it IS a
very direct and straightforward question.  Tell me, what would this country be
if the colonists "asked King George nicely" to gain independance?  Now, I
realize this is stretching it, but I feel it relates to the current situation.
Do you think Shiri will be admitted in by "asking nicely?"  No, she already
tried that, and was turned down.  Now, I don't wanna break out the muskets and
float down the Delaware, but I feel that this is a time for change.  And, once
again, I stress that I'm a third party, but I would like to know why you are
the only LUG to have an age limit? (to my knowledge)  None of the other ones,
including GMLUG, which I belonged to at 17, have age limits, why do you?
-Chris