 Organizations / United States / 242
Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 18:33:59 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Jeff Johnston writes:
And standards.  Do we want to use thin or thick baseplates?  And should each
'unit' have a standard size so that we can fit them together easily?  I guess
we could use mixtures of thin and thick plates to show that the land isn't
perfectly even...I could even build a (very) small hill with some of my green
bricks.

Hmm... a nice grassy knoll might look kinda cool... I might be able to do
something like that too... Not really sure... I don't have THAT many green
bricks, but I do have a few hundred (that's with 1x1's too, I'd guess)... I
might be able to get a 32x32 baseplate sized hill-- but that's not too large...
but sufficiently disguised in a battlefield or a forest, it might look good...

I don't know that we have any standards but there seem to be a lot of the
16x32 tan baseplates around (I have at least 10 and I think Dave said he has a
similar number).  I think these work well for building the town on.  It gives
a more worn look than any of the green baseplates.

Yeah, that's what I'd say... tan baseplates for the town, brown is a little too
dark for streets, etc... it's more appropriate for untrodden land like fields
or in the forest. I've got at least 9 16x32 tan baseplates (I think I've got
more, but at LEAST 9), a bunch of tan plates, and some smaller (12x32?) tan
baseplates... So combined with just Eric and my baseplates, that's about 10
32x32 baseplates worth, which is probably enough for about 75% of the town? At
least that's about what I'm guessing, size wise--- I suppose we could check how
big the window ACTUALLY is when we're all there on Monday...

I also have a brown 16x32 and a few smaller green baseplates.

I don't think we need to worry to much about standards.  For the SW setup we
just covered the floor with Shawn's sensual brown sheet and that worked well
for filling in the gaps.

Yep, I've got a 16x32 and a 16x16 brown baseplate which might come in handy for
crops or as a road in the forest... or a road leading up to the castle wall...
I've also got 4 32x32 green baseplates and several smaller ones (no clue how
many), about 12 huge green bricks (12x24 or something?), and 8 10x20's in
green. That should cover a fair amount of grassland outside the town/castle,
but as suggested, it doesn't have to fully cover everything... the brown
bedspread worked pretty well... (maybe we can snag it again :) )

Here's a couple of ideas I had... feel free to add:
- Kinds of shops:
   o Clothing shop

Selling capes, no doubt?  Possibly hoods and hats as well?

I think that is the only reason I have not done a clothing shop for my market
yet.  The variety of fabric clothing in LEGO is very limited.

Well, depending on how imaginative our viewers are, we could put some minifig
torso's out without hands or legs, cloth hats (young obi-wan's hood, darth
maul's hood, wolfpack hood, forestman cap, (maiden's hat is a little too
upscale)), capes (brown, black, blue, red, I think?), cloaks (darth maul's,
qui-gon's), pants may look a little silly but they could work... so there
should be some stuff we can get together...

Do we have any idea *when* we are going to do this?

Not yet although we said sometime early this year.  I think at this stage
February might be a little soon but March is probably doable.  I would not
mind a February date I just don't know how much we will have done by then.  I
would guess Monday would be a good time to talk about dates seeing a lot of us
are going to be meeting at TCS.

Yeah, I was kind of imagining mid-late February or early March-- but I guess it
depends on how soon and what we can get together... I guess we'll see!

DaveE