 Organizations / United States / 240
Re: NELUG Castle Display at TCS Brainstorm...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, lugnet.org.us
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:25:42 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, Jeff Johnston writes:

And standards.  Do we want to use thin or thick baseplates?  And should each
'unit' have a standard size so that we can fit them together easily?  I guess
we could use mixtures of thin and thick plates to show that the land isn't
perfectly even...I could even build a (very) small hill with some of my green
bricks.

I don't know that we have any standards but there seem to be a lot of the 16x32
tan baseplates around (I have at least 10 and I think Dave said he has a
similar number).  I think these work well for building the town on.  It gives a
more worn look than any of the green baseplates.

I also have a brown 16x32 and a few smaller green baseplates.

I don't think we need to worry to much about standards.  For the SW setup we
just covered the floor with Shawn's sensual brown sheet and that worked well
for filling in the gaps.

Here's a couple of ideas I had... feel free to add:
- Kinds of shops:
   o Clothing shop

Selling capes, no doubt?  Possibly hoods and hats as well?

I think that is the only reason I have not done a clothing shop for my market
yet.  The variety of fabric clothing in LEGO is very limited.

   o Butcher

Only problem is that we could only serve Horse, Kaddu, and Polar Bear.  :-)

'ey!  I volunteered by sheep, din't I?  If not, then I volunteer it now.  And
even though there's only one, it's a *big* sheep.  I might also be able to
knock together a cow or something.

Oh Yah forgot about that one.  I think I didn't include him because the sheep
requires creativity :-).  The others are ready made for us by LEGO.  Oh and a
Cow would be cool.

   o Barber?
   o Doctor

In the medieval era, these would probably be the same thing(!)

Time for a good bloodletting!  :-)

   o Carpenter
   o Shoe store (Al Bundy's long lost relative)

I was thinking of including some of these in my market.  I have already
built a Flower Shop for the market and was considering an Armory as well
although as I have said before my Castle fig selection is not very good so
stocking an Armory might be tough for me.

A general blacksmith would be better.  The armorer probably lives and works in
the castle, because peasants don't *need* (and probably can't afford) to buy
weapons and armor, but the King needs to keep his soldiers armed...

I guess I was kind of thinking the same thing.  I have a blacksmith in my
market so maybe I will just go with one of the other storefronts to round out
the market.

- Town Gate

And small side gate with bribery. 8)

I think you mentioned that before and I think it is a very cool idea.

I might take on the inn/stable idea, too.

Cool

Do we have any idea *when* we are going to do this?

Not yet although we said sometime early this year.  I think at this stage
February might be a little soon but March is probably doable.  I would not mind
a February date I just don't know how much we will have done by then.  I would
guess Monday would be a good time to talk about dates seeing a lot of us are
going to be meeting at TCS.

Eric K.

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/