 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 617
616  |  618
Subject:
More monorail info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:09:22 GMT

Just a couple of points on the monorail track.

We all know that the lower track level will have 12 full height
supports underneath.  For those that don't know it, the ramp simply
raises this another 10 bricks, for a total support height (under the
track) of 22 bricks.

Also, assuming we use the 6399 airport shuttle as our monorail, the
height of the actual monorail engine and cars is about 6 to 7 bricks
above the surface of the track (not the drive line in the middle).  I
would recommend a clearance of 8 bricks anywhere it's needed (stations
primarily).

Bryan was just over here, and took home a couple of track sections to
work with (the airport station, and the curve behind the mountain).
Thanks for making that long drive, Bryan!!

One other point.  After studying the airport monorail, and the track
we have set up for the airport, I think we'll need an extra piece of
short track on the end, past the control track.  The total length of
the monorail car from the middle of the engine to the end of the car
is about 25 studs.  The length to the end of the wheel bogies is about
22 studs.  This would be a minimum length of track to provide to
eliminate the possibility of a derailment or worse.  Currently the
existing setup provides about 20 studs from the control point to the
end.  Not enough.

Bryan is the only one that this really affects and I've emailed him
about it, so I haven't modified the layout files (unless you think I
should).  For the rest of us, please add one short monorail track onto
the end of the track at the airport.

Robin