 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 26
Re: next meeting theme
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 00:20:30 GMT

Do we wish to have a theme for the next meeting on March 28?

Since the club is still in its infancy, and we're all still getting to
know one another, I like the idea of an evening similar to the first
meeting, with everyone just bringing "themselves" and we get to know
one another, our collections, passions, stories, etc.  Perhaps a
trifle more structure, but not too much.

I'd love to find out more about each of the members.  Some ideas, some
of which I'm simply echoing from the website :

  1)  Bring some of your favourite Lego related
sets/books/magazines/articles/clothing/etc. to "Show and Tell"

  2)  Go around the circle and have each person (that would like to,
that is) tell their lego history, dark ages, rebirth, anecdotes,
various FOTW/M/Y, favourite stores and sources, etc.

  3)  Questions and Answers from one collector to another.  Questions
about sets, pieces, whatever.  Of course, much like Lugnet itself, but
always more fun in person.

  4)  It would be great if a internet link was available at the
meetings.  Even at the first meeting, there were many references by
different members to sites, images, and resources on the web.  I, for
one, would love to have been around to see Xandria's face the first
time she ogled Ed Boxer's Castle site. ;-)  Does anyone have a
notebook equipped with modem?  Or something even remotely close or
portable?

As for Theme nights, here are some other ideas, some very obvious I
know, but stated here nonetheless:

  1)  Agree on a theme ahead of time, perhaps even a couple of
meetings in advance, and then having a night of ... oh, let's say
CASTLE, where we share everything Castle, including resources like
books, favourite websites, artwork, images, etc.

  1b)  Also in advance of the theme nights, we could plan a
construction of some sort, for example ... oh, let's say a MEDIEVAL
CASTLE AND VILLAGE, where we could discuss who will build what, and
how it all fits together, etc.  Members would be building at home the
models that they would eventually bring to the theme night to
integrate.

  2)  On these theme nights, or any night for that matter, in addition
to bringing what we've each constructed, we would actually DO SOME
BUILDING!  Give each person a space for their lego, and have at it.
These are always my favourite times.

  3)  Have a "Mystery Night".  Arrange for each person to buy and/or
bring a particular bucket, basic set, or any set(s) for that matter to
the meeting.  The point is that everyone arrives with exactly the same
Lego.  Upon arrival, someone (probably a non-builder ;-) announces a
theme, and everyone just begins building.  It's always interesting to
see all the different creations that people come up with, given the
exact same tools and resources.  Put all the creations together at the
end of the night, and voila!  A Kodak moment!

  4)   How about a field trip!  There is a new group up in Edmonton,
where most of my family is from.  It's called NALUG (Northern Alberta
LUG), and they recently went on a little "buying trip" to some of the
typical haunts.  I've done this a couple of times with another Lego
fanatic, and let me tell you, it's way too much fun!!!!  Be prepared,
however, to spend more than you would if you were alone ;-)!

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Post away!

Robin