 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1563
Re: Meeting on the 20th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:46:00 GMT

Hi Mark et al, and all VLC'ers,

Sorry that there hasn't been much chatter about the 20th here.
There's been lots going on behind the scenes, and we're looking
forward to a great day.

We've planned a full day event.  If you can show up for all of it,
excellent!  If not, feel free to drop in and join us for any part of
it.  Here's a proposed schedule, which may be altered slightly
depending on word from the SeaLUG guys, and by the actual attendees on
Saturday:

1pm - 3pm  -  Arrive, Meet & Greet, Split up our group order
(Metroliners, yay!!), do some show & tell, etc.

3pm - 5pm  -  Road Trip!!  We'll visit some of the local Lego shopping
haunts, and perhaps even a member's house (who knows?)

5pm - 6pm  -  While we're out, we'll stop and pick up some food, bring
it back to the meeting space and dine.  We may also use this time to
discuss some club business.

6pm - 9pm  -  We play!  We'd like to do draft or two (more about that
below), build and play with some trains and Metroliners, more show &
tell, perhaps even some trading?

How does this sit with everyone?

Now, what is a draft, you say?  Something I picked up while visiting
our fellow maniacs in Edmonton (NALUG) recently.  Basically,
participants decide on a specific set (or sets), and all contribute
the set to the draft.  Everyone helps to part out all the sets into
piles of unique pieces.  Participants then roll die to determine
"picking order".  Then, we simply go in order and pick piles until all
are gone.  It's absolute great fun!!  It's also a great way to get
multiples of certain pieces you want.  We'll decide on the sets we
want to draft before we head out for our shopping trip, then pick them
up wherever we end up.

It would be great to get a feel for who will be able to attend, and
what part of the day you can make it for.  So far, there are quite a
few, that I know of, that are in for the whole day.  It should be a
great time!!

For those crossing the border, allow 30 - 45 minutes from the border
to the meeting space (which you should already have the address and
directions for).  I would recommend probably taking the "Truck
Crossing".  As you approach the border, you will take the exit (I
believe it's number 275), instead of proceeding to the Peace Arch
crossing.  Once you cross the border, turn left at the lights to make
your way back to the main highway (99).

To check border wait times as you get closer, tune your radio to a
couple of local AM stations, which give frequent traffic reports, and
sometimes border crossing wait times.  AM 980 gives traffic reports
ever 10 minutes on the "4"s.  AM 1130 does the same on the "1"s.

I've crossed a couple of times lately, and it's not too bad.  Have
your ID ready to hand over.  Have all your stuff easily accessible,
visible, and "checkable", and you should have no problem.

Hope you can all make it!!!

Robin