 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1093
Re: The mountain...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:22:14 GMT

Wow, Bryan!  When you get down to work, you don't mess around!  I like
your style.

I did some checking with my train, and have some notes:

Left side of Mountain (outside "Hogwarts Valley"):

- Take a look at the graphic "lay1.jpg", on the extreme right side,
outside the Hogwarts area, on the blue baseplates.  You need to leave
more clearance, especially at the point where you have the black brick
between the two white ones.

Track around top of mountain:

- Clearance is fine at the top of the layout (should leave 2 clear
studs beyond edge of track "tie", or 3 studs beyond the actual metal
rail)

Entrances "A" & "B":

- The 4559 car is about the same length as the Hogwarts Locomotive,
but is articulated differently.  By the looks of the graphics, the
4559 car has LESS clearance than the Hogwarts Loco.

- You should verify this, but Entrance "A" looks fine.

- Entrance "B" probably needs more clearance on the right side
(looking at graphic "lay5.jpg")

- I've verified 2 general rules using a variety of curves:

1)  Leave 2 clear studs beyond the edge of the track on the OUTSIDE of
any curve.  This must begin one full track before the curve begins.

2)  Leave 1 clear stud beyond the edge of track on the INSIDE of any
curve, once again starting one full track before the curve begins.

NOTE:  Make sure it's 1 or 2 CLEAR studs.  To check you should be able
to stick a 2x3 brick (to check for 2 spaces), or a 2x2 brick (to check
for 1 space) on the end of every tie at any point along the track.
The main problem is that the bricks are not lined up parallel to the
track, so the edges of the bricks actually intrude on the clearance
space.

Also be very careful with "S" curves.  In effect the middle of the
"S", in our case the middle of the tunnel, becomes both an inside AND
an outside curve, so leave 2 full space on either side.

My guess is the the yellow 2x2  in the middle of the tunnel is just to
hold your baseplates together, but just in case it's not, it's
probably too close.

As far as height clearance, The Hogwart's Loco is 10 and 2/3 high at
the highest point, sitting on the table (not including track), and 1
brick higher sitting on the track.  Assuming the track will be just
sit on top of  the studs, clearance of  13 clear levels from baseplate
to ceiling should be fine.

Another note:  It would probably be wise to make sure that we can get
into the mountain easily to get at trains, pieces, etc. just in case.

More later, but this should help.

Excellent work so far!  Thanks, Bryan!!

Robin

P.S.  Everyone that is providing rolling stock should probably be
doing the same thing with their cars, etc. to make sure that everyone
provides good clearance.