 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1012
Re: Tip for Hogwarts Express...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 01:41:16 GMT

Bryan Wong wrote in message ...

This is primarily directed to Robin, since he's building Hogwarts.  I'm
pointing out that "bar that connects the wheels" (the technic plate).

I tried doing connecting rods like this last time I did a steamer, and just
could not get them to run easily without binding. If you can do it, Robin,
more power to you, but we may have to sacrifice looks for reliability.

P.S.  Could someone give me a quick & dirty lesson on train parts?  Tender?
Boogie?  I have no clue...

The tender is the small car which a steam engine has connected directly
behind it. It carries water and fuel (oil, wood, coal..) for the engine.
Some engines are "tank engines" and have no tender - they have water tanks
either side (or draped over top) of  the boiler, and a small bunker behind
the cab to carry fuel. The Lego MOT non-tender engines have very little in
the way of tanks, and wouldn't get very far :-)

"boogie" is Lego's mis-spelling of "bogie", which is the UK name for what N
Americans call a truck - the 2- (or 3-) axle arrangement which hangs under
one end of a long car. Older UK and Euro cars had 4 (occasionally 6) wheels
only, like an automobile, 1 at each corner. Bogies go round curves much more
easily than a fixed wheelbase and allow the car to be longer.

Somebody recently posted the URL of a RR glossary and explanation page in
the .trains group, it would be worth looking up if you're interested in what
things mean.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1