 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9943
9942  |  9944
Subject:
FLL Canada Ontario Regional
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:22:41 GMT

Hey folks,

Just got back from the FIRST Lego League Ontario Regionals here in sunny
Toronto.  (Sunny is a bad word, I finally felt the ABS kicking in on my Accord
this morning as the freezing rain iced down the streets)

I had a lot of fun (apparently I was the Technical Judging Chair, I learned this
about 3/4s of the way through the day) and with a staff of simultaneously
overqualified (several engineering Masters and PhD's in there) and
underqualified (almost none had any Lego experience (This is a beam.  This is a
motor...)) judges, we managed to get through meeting and analyzing the creations
of 32 teams of eager students.

We started at 8AM and ran till 4PM, with kids presenting their research reports,
judges interviewing for teamwork and us trying to understand how these
youngsters had built their ice core capturing and canister launching creations.

I think Rob, who was a mentor for a team from Mississauga, had fun too.

I'm encouraging the rtlToronto core members to come out and participate either
as mentor or a judge for the 2004 event.  In the meantime, the high school FIRST
competition is gearing up for early next year, with the finals in April at the
Hershey Centre in Mississauga.

Calum