 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9566
9565  |  9567
Subject:
FLL Ontario Request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:48:44 GMT

Hey guys,

Here's a note from the regional volunteer coordinator for FLL Ontario.

As FLL ramps up in Canada, we're going to start seeing many of these requests.
I'm thinking of going to this one, and I suggest some of us try and make it out.
Anyone interested in being a Technical Judge (which I think we'd be all very
well fit for) or any of the other volunteer positions they need for this event?
Email me directly.

--Calum

Hello,

I'm looking for volunteers for a different kind of event.  This year,
schools across Canada will be participating for the first time ever in an
international Lego Robotics competition, and I've signed on as the
Volunteer Coordinator for the Ontario provincial competition.  The event
is for students aged 9 to 14, and will be held at Crescent School (near
Bayview and Lawrence) in Toronto on Saturday, November 29.

"We've got to show kids that it's more fun to design a video game than to
play one.  Society will get what it celebrates -- if we want to
continually improve our quality of life

I'm looking for all kinds of volunteers, technical and non-technical.
The students will arrive at the event with their robots and spend the day
competing against other groups and making presentations to panels of
judges on the work that they have done.

"With an enthusiasm and energy level you would typically see at athletic
events, the Tournament is an exciting, full-day event filled with music,
cheering teams and spectators, dignitaries and plenty of role models for
the students.  Each robot runs autonomously around a sepcifrically
designed course, scoring points by completing the inidividual missions of
the Challenge.  Judges critique teams on mechnaical and programming
features, the presentation of their research assignments they create in
response to the Challenge, their teamwork, and other leadership
qualities."

I'm looking for people to fill the following roles:

* Emcee
* Disk Jockey
* Pit Announcers
        - help coordinate teams before and after matches
* Research Presentation Judges
        - the teams each make a short presentation and are evaluated on
                quality of research
                innovation of solutions
                creativity in their presentation
* Team Performance Judges
        - how well they worked as a team
        - did their mentor do all of the work for them
        - was it a positive experience for everyone, etc.)
* Technical Judges (must be familiar with Lego Mindstorms)
* Table Manager
        - responsible for
                compeition playing fields
                proper team flow, on and off the field
                supervising table bosses, referees, etc.
                maintaining the schedule
* Table Bosses
        - assist with maintenance of the playing tables, reset after matches
* Referees

If you are at all interested in volunteering for any of these positions,
or know of someone else who is, please let me know.  It's a wonderful
opportunity to see kids get very excited about something they truly
enjoy.

Katharine Hancock