 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6862
Re: I'm Done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:24:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
Your one step closer to being able to sign people's passports.

?? I was not aware of this. I guess I should get me P.Eng going as soon as I
get my first 'real' engineering job. I had an interview at ABB, but it was
kind of a courtesy thing more than an actual job interview. I had sent them
a video which interested them, but the company has a global hiring freeze
on, so no job :(

Yes.  The signing of the passport application as a guarantor is restricted
to certain people, primarily government and professionals, including
accountants (CA, CGA, CMA), doctors (MDs, optometrists, dentists), engineers
(P.Eng or Eng.), legal (lawyers, notary public) and government (judges,
mayors, magistrates).  Part of it is that professional engineers are
supposedly trustworthy, at least perhaps due to the Ontario Professional
Engineers Act.

As for a hiring freeze-many companies are like that right now.  As a new
grad, it's harder because you don't have a lot of experience, so the usual
new grad hiring programs aren't open and you don't have anything that's so
desirable that someone would lift the freeze to hire you.  It can be done,
but you need to keep networking and in their face.

you do NOT follow in Calums foot steps, and you do what ever needs to be
done so that in 4 years when I need someone to sign my passport you'll
be ready to step up.

Right. I need someone to sign mine soon. Calum???

Nope.  I haven't received my P.Eng yet because:

a) as of graduating class of 1999/2000, they require four years of valid
professional practice.  That means I'm only eligible starting this fall, IIRC.

b) the PEO tends to debate whether certain types of systems
development/engineering work is considered "engineering".  A good part of
this is that engineers working in the sloppy lackluster world of "IT" have
diluted good engineering practices.  That and idiots with "MCSE"
certifications have bastardized the term "systems engineer".*  Working at
Nortel probably consistuted engineering work, but this current PM job I have
is probably NOT even if some of my superiors (although not my direct
manager) are P.Eng's.  Another reason why I want to ditch this place.

Calum

*-Soapbox:  I'm sick and tired of people misusing the term "systems
engineering".  Systems engineering is NOT going to frickin community college
and learning how to install and admin Windows 2000.  I was interviewing with
a military contractor recently for a systems engineering position and we
were lamenting how the Microsoft MCSE term has ruined the name systems
engineer.  Sigh.