 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6846
6845  |  6847
Subject:
I'm Done
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:01:54 GMT

My Thesis Report. 72 pages of playing with Lego and calling it engineering
:) Boy am I glad its over. I can't wait to take the firefighting robot
apart. I was really getting sick of it near the end. Those lucky enough to
make the acknowledgements list include John Barnes, Calum, Bruce, and Iain.

At the end of this project, I have learned a few lessons:
-Don't build a synchronous base unless you are masochistic
-RCX's suck when you need lots of I/O
-Rotation sensors suck when you need accuracy
-John Barnes sensors rule!

Since I broke my leg I won't be able to go the the firefighting robot
competition in Connecticut, which is just as well, because the root is
currently non-functional. I do want to have another go next year. I will
defenitely not use RCX's. (Sorry guys, but I'm not a purist anymore. I'm
looking forward to having 31 I/O lines :) Neither will I use Lego sensors. I
will still use Lego for the mechanics though, because the gears and motors
are so nice.

I'm graduating soon, so hopefully I will have more time to come out to the
dinners and events. Looks like I missed a good one last time.

Rob