 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 677
Re: "Robotica"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:42:03 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
It's really sad that all people seem to be interested in now is "Yay, lets
smash crap up." Our competitions could *never* go on air - the type of
people who watch "Robotica" are probably the same kinds that enjoy TV-style
WWF Wrestling*.

I wouldn't say that, I saw a Discovery Channel news bit about the Canada
FIRST competition and it was really cool.  There was no smashing up at all.
But you're probably right in the sense that we'll never draw the WWF crowd.
And maybe that's a good thing :)

I think I WILL watch the show again, though - because it was all too
hilarious to watch the goofy designs fail. There was this one... and I hate
to type the name coughidroidcough that almost TIPPED OVER FORWARD when going
over this tippy ramp. I totally lost it. It was just SO HILARIOUS. It was
also pretty funny how the drives work on these things - it doesn't seem like
anyone has mastered any sort of coherent steering mechanism/logic. They're
bashing into things, steering all over the place... hello, Omnidrive anyone?

I don't think anyone who builds for Robotica is at all involved in robotics
from a professional standpoint.  They're all amateurs, and the designs are
of a brute force nature.  The machines are simple because they have to pay
for them out of their own pocket, and in general, live control means little
if any guidance systems...But that's the fun part!

Calum