 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6631
Re: LEGO(R) -> LEGO(R) @ Camp.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 05:38:56 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, John Guerquin writes:
Anywho, on the website,  http://www.ctworkshop.com/ it talks about kids
doing projects that involve simulation, animation, robot programming, and
engineering.  What's interesting is that they teach mechanical engineering
concepts using LEGO, as well as as robot building and programming using
MINDSTORMS.  Apparently the head person is Darryl Reiter, a teacher.
It's for kids from 7 to 14.

Anyone heard of this place?  Anyone know anyone involved in it?
I was thinking we could invite this guy Darryl, and maybe some march break
camp kids to rtl13, which I believe is right at the end of march break?

Yup.   Darryl has been in contact with us many times.  Basically he is in
the for-profit educational services--I believe what they do is sell their
educational services to schools, with integrated lesson plans, materials
etc.  He very generously offered his facilities as a host to rtlToronto for
events as well.

We've deliberately stayed away from any association with them or any other
commercial concern, primarily because of representation-we don't want an
event like rtlToronto13 to be branded as an educational experience (which
would be a let down for paying parents) or part of his firm's offerings.
Part of it is because it's for profit--there's a hint of responsibility
there to put on a good show, which we don't want to handle as an
organization--and that we're getting none of it, which means we'd be putting
money into his pockets with our hard earned Lego and effort.  That said, we
don't want any cut of it either, we just want to play Lego in our own corner
and not be associated with anyone, save the Library I suppose.

This is not specific to Darryl, we've turned away many organizations in a
similar vein, including things as far ranging as the Home Show, the CBC,
Corus Entertainment, to name a few.

For now, rtlToronto remains a relatively isolated group.  We welcome
everyone to our events, but do not want to be on the hook for any
representation.

Calum