 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6581
6580  |  6582
Subject:
rtlToronto13 Questions from a builder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 03:20:37 GMT

This email came from our old friend Dave Astolfo and I'm reposting the reply
because I think it's applicable:

Hey Calum,

I am gaming on coming down to the next robot competition with the RTL gang.
Some questions for you regarding rules and layout.

        Good news!  It'll be a great event, I think with many people from
afar coming!  I'm going to copy this post to the NG because it'll be
useful for other people coming.

1) Is the pedestal going to be painted any specific colour? That meaning can
we count on a colour for our bots to "seek" ?

        It'll be your basic plywood colour-unpainted.

2) If the colour of the predate is the same as the play area, are the outer
borders a different colour? Essentially, I have trying to determine if there
will be varying colours between the obstacles that I can use for sensor
readings.

        Predate?  If you mean pedestal, it'll be the same as the play
area.  There really isn't any variability in colours that would allow you
to differentiate between the floor and the pedestal.

3) I have a custom sensor from Techno stuff. Its the DIRPD
(http://www.techno-stuff.com/DIRPD-T.htm) sensor. Is this considered out of
the realm of allowable sensors?

        Yeah.  I'm not sure we're going into the world of custom sensors
just yet, so they're offlimits for the forseable future.  Part of the
challenge is to be able to use the existing Lego sensors to deal with the
environment presented.  It's the same as being able to use one RCX in some
of the earlier challenges.  The limitations are part of the fun/challenge.

        Another part of what makes the challenges special
is that it's an extremely easy line to draw in the sand in terms of
rules-if it don't say Lego it, it's not allowed.  It beats having to
decide if my P3 powered USB interfacede differential GPS receiver is okay
or not. :)

Calum