 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6549
6548  |  6550
Subject:
Looking for photos of Smash Em Up Derby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 04:49:15 GMT

Hey folks,

I know a lot of you took photos of the big Smash Em Up Derby event today.
Could you email them to me?  I promise to put them up faster than the usual
four-six month span of waiting.

Some info:  About eight months ago, we did an event called "live1", which
was prefaced by a private test event at the University.  The idea was to use
BBRC, an IR Tower/USB gamepad/RCX live control system to play a simple game,
soccer.  Well, it was workable, but not as much fun as simply beating each
other to pieces.  Well, once the first 8475's came out, it was blatantly
obvious a no holds barred Battlebots-esque smackdown contest was required.
I mean, they must have put that third output in there for this reason, right?*

*-Mind you, the position of the paddles might suggest the third output could
be used to shift a transmission.  Race car steering wheels have paddles to
toggle gears, IIRC.

rtlToronto isn't exactly the "Must keep four copies in acid free air sealed
collector bags in my humidity controlled vault!" kind of group :)  So, it
was, make it 18" cubed, run them against each other--and Chris organized a
private test event today to check it out.

Most of the machines were pretty similar to the usual
Battlebots/RobotWars/Robotica etc designs-spinning things (Chris/Bruce),
wedges (Wayne), lifting arms (Ivan/Dave/Iain&Calum) and camber steering cars
(John!?), but inspired because of the limits of Lego strength, power from
motors, pneumatics etc.  There were some definitive victories (Chris got
most of the damage) but most of it was just good natured fun and hilarious
commentary.

Here's two quick photos:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/8475smash.jpg
Bruce, Wayne and Dave battle their robots in a three machine free for all.

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/8475controllers.jpg
Seven 8475 controllers in a row.  Amazing how many of us have this set now!

I had a lot of fun with the contest today-piles of laughs.  We should do
this again in a few months, so that people can try new weapons, ideas,
strengthen their designs.  That and I like the Tulip-I had mentioned to
Chris we should go weeks ago when the live2 contest was announced.

Now, back to your regularily scheduled rtl13 building.

Calum
PS-As Chris mentioned:
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/magnoplains.jpg