 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6509
6508  |  6510
Subject:
8475 -- smash up derby
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 13:56:06 GMT

John, I know you sent this in private e-mail but it might be of interest
to the group so I'm posting it here....

Hi Chris

Having recently acquired the 8475 R/C buggy, I'm a kinda interested in

rechargeable batteries, and other R/C things.  I seem to remember you
mentioning at one of our dinners at Mel's that there is just such a
store
on Bloor just west of Mel's.  I found a store a block west of
Bathurst,
(north side) but it seemed to be similar to Active Surplus, with no
real
R/C parts
(servos, the transmitter/receivers, etc), but they did have
rechargeable
NiMH and NiCad
batteries.  Is that store it?  Do you remember the name of the store
you
were talking about???

If I was talking about an "electronics" store just west Bathurst St.
then it was "Active Components"  thats the place you found.  and YES; it
is very much like active surplus.  as a point of interest, it was
started by 2 ex-employee's of A.S.   I don't remember talking about RC
parts persay(?), but for general electronic STUFF (not components) then
that is one of 3 cool places to go.

For RC stuff, I'd recommend any of the big main RC hobby shops. All of
which I cant name right now but I could drive there.  there is one
called Panda(?) on a side street off of Dundas St. W  near Dixie.
Farther West of Dixie on Dundas is yet another RC shop called North
Star(?)  across from the big C-tire.

BTW, I found that my rechargeable PURE ENERGY alkaline batteries last
less
than about 3 minutes in the 8475 buggy, and get quite hot too.  They
went
from about 1.6V
down to less than 1.4V in a hurry.  I realize that voltage is not a
good
way to measure
a battery's ability to generate current, but it's about the only thing
I DO
know
how to measure.  Do you think using 6 1.2V NiMH or NiCad batteries
(ie. 7.2 V)
would work well?

I cant speak to this...   :(

Battery stuff is very close to magic to me. My advice is to stock up on
supper cheap made in china disposable batteries.

I just might make a run down to the wholesalers and pick up a WHACK of
"super-cheap-made-on-the-backs-of-chinese-labour" disposable alkaline
AA's

I do know that the OEM motors do suck a LOT of current, and if I miss my
guess you've armored up your buggy to just before the "motors cant move
it" point.

all that makes me think that a first strike strategy might win. as
opposed to big and bulky.

see you saturday at the "let's test the ultimate tensile strength of
ZNAP"
demolition derby

which i fully feel will be the weak point of ONE of my offensive
weapons.