 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6187
6186  |  6188
Subject:
Project Double X??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 02:10:34 GMT

Greetings all,
I was at the "Sun Tech Days" conference here in the Big Smoke for the past
couple of days and was further brainwashed about all things Java.  One talk
was given by a Sun guy who demoed a LEGO robot running Java/lejos.  He got
oo's and ah's from the crowd when his robot did line following (woopee)!  He
also used speech recognition software running on a PC to control the 'bot
with spoken commands, which was pretty cool.  He mentioned Brickfest, but
didn't mention our favourite LEGO enthusiasts group :(

Anywho, what really got me excited was a few projects he briefly mentioned
that some students in California built.  One that piqued my interest was a
robot that would take a sheet of paper with a random maze printed on it (on
a grid) and then it would solve the maze and draw in the solution with a
pen.  The students used an external PC to do the hard work, and the 'bot was
basically a scanner and pen plotter.  I think it would be a real challenge
to do it pure -- no PC, just an RCX (or two, or three).  The maze could be
on a 20 cm X 20 cm grid, with increasing levels of difficulty as the
competition progresses.  For example, round one would have a 4 x 4 maze
(i.e. each "maze chunk" would be at least 5 cm X 5 cm).  The size of the
chunks would decrease each round until we reach the ultimate:  1 cm X 1 cm
chunks... a whopping 20 X 20 maze.  What does everyone think?

Mario

P.S. to Chris:  how many nested IF-THEN statements are required for a 20 X 20?